As property owners in the Semiahmoo Resort Community, we are all members of the Semiahmoo Resort Association (SRA) and accordingly subject to the provisions of the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions for the Semiahmoo Resort Community (CC&Rs) and the SRA Bylaws. Over the years, the Semiahmoo Resort Association has developed a number of “Community Rules.” The purpose of these Community Rules is to lend greater definition to the CC&Rs and the Bylaws and in so doing help us all to protect the beauty and the serenity of our much cherished community.
All SRA members are provided with a copy of the CC&Rs at the time of purchase, and we are all required to abide by them. In particular, Article X that sets out the Architectural Standards and Use Provisions is very familiar to all of us who have built here. But did you know that Article X also applies to members who wish to do exterior renovations to their home or property? In addition, we are responsible for conveying this information to our architects, contractors, builders, trades people, gardeners, etc., as well as any guest or tenants of our property. If you are in need of a copy of the CC&Rs, please contact the SRA office at (360) 371-7796.
With this publication, the SRA wishes to make property owners aware of the Community Rules. These Community Rules do not replace the CC&Rs, they supplement them. (Where applicable, the number of the corresponding CC&R will be given in parentheses at the end of the rule; ASC refers to the Architectural Standards Committee.)
COMMUNITY RULES (11.01)
1. Observe the posted speed limit in each neighborhood—20 miles per hour (or less) inside the gates.
2. Place trashcans and recycling containers at curb (not in the street) on day of pickup only, returning them to your property same day of pick-up.
3. Mailboxes must be the type established by the ASC and must be maintained (10.12).
4. Homes and yards must be maintained (5.01 & 10.17).
5. Burning of debris is permitted only in accordance with City of Blaine regulations; contact Whatcom County Fire District 13 at (360) 371-2533.
6. No trash or debris may be dumped or placed on vacant lots or any other portion of the development (10.17).
7. Light bulbs in direct exterior light fixtures must not exceed 25 watts per fixture (10.12). No exterior light bulbs shall be colored, except for reasonable periods of time during the holiday seasons.
8. Tarps covering woodpiles, play equipment, etc. must be an earth-tone color (not blue) (10.17).
9. Exterior holiday decorations are permitted only for reasonable periods of time during the holiday seasons (5.01 & 10.17).
10. No perimeter or other permanent fencing shall be allowed (10.12).
11. No tree, shrub, bush or vegetation with a trunk diameter of 6 inches or more measured at four (4) feet above ground (unless located within 5 feet of a building, recreational or parking facility) may be cut or removed without prior approval of ASC (10.07). Please contact the ASC office at (360) 371-7786.
12. All exterior changes to be made to the residence or to the landscaping during construction (including changes to exterior paint color) require prior approval from the ASC.
13. All exterior changes to existing houses and yards (i.e. paint color, structural modifications, alteration or addition of exterior lights, installation or change to a patio, decks, hot tub, playhouse or play equipment, exercise equipment, any changes that would alter the impervious condition, etc.) require prior approval of the ASC, see CC&R, Article X for full requirements and procedures.
14. Yard structures, for example but not limited to, trellises, garden benches, play houses and play equipment, exercise equipment, hot tubs, etc. must not encroach onto setbacks.
15. Portable basketball backstops must be kept on private property and not be placed on SRA property.
16. Installation of a satellite dish and its location requires prior approval of the ASC and, if applicable, the Condominium Association (10.14).
17. Parking of vehicles (other than the parking of personal vehicles of guests while visiting) is not permitted on neighborhood streets. Off-street parking must be provided by the property owners (10.19). Parking and storage restrictions apply to mobile homes, trailers, motor homes, tractors, trucks other than pick-up trucks, boats, boat trailers, commercial vehicles of any type, etc., (10.19).
18. Pets shall be leashed at all times when walked or exercised in any portion of the Common Areas, and all pet owners must immediately remove all excrement left by their pets on Common property (10.16).
19. Hours of construction work include Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. No construction work shall be done on Sundays or holidays, except for an emergency situation (as defined in CC&R 10.06).
20. No maintenance work shall be done on Sundays or holidays using equipment or machinery such as chain saw, power saw, leaf/debris blower, power-washing equipment, tree chipper, etc., except for emergency situation (10.06 & 10.17). Routine yard maintenance by property owners, using power equipment and machinery limited to mowing, trimming and weeding, is permitted on Sunday between 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
21. Except as may be required by legal proceedings, no signs or advertising posters of any kind shall be maintained or permitted without the express permission of the ASC (10.13 & 10.17). Political Signs may be displayed before any primary or general election in accordance with RCW 64.38.034. Signs must be: neat; well maintained; in good taste; no grater than 36 inches by 30 inches; installed with a single post close to the ground; a maximum of four signs may be displayed simultaneously; signs may only be displayed within four months of the date of the election and must be promptly removed after the election.
22. All fireworks and explosive devices are banned behind the gates of Semiahmoo (effective 06-12-06).
23. Flags and Flag poles are governed as follows. Flags: allowable flags include flags of national origin only. Flag poles: metal pole (bronze colored aluminum or white aluminum); front or rear yard installation only; located within the building envelope (i.e. outside of the setbacks); not to exceed 25 feet in height; and with an internal halyard.
24. If you choose to rent or lease your home, the SRA requires that you provide evidence that you have given your tenant a copy of the CC&Rs and Community Rules. Contact the Administrative Director in the SRA office to certify that you have completed this obligation. Additional copies of the documents are available if needed.
25.SOLICITATION: There is NO SOLICITING within the gates at Semiahmoo.
ENFORCEMENT AND SANCTIONS
AUTHORITY OF THE SRA
Adherence to our Community Rules
and the CC&Rs should enhance the experience of living at Semiahmoo for all
members of the SRA. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the
SRA office at (360) 371-7796.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.